[asio-users] Libusb support?
Aaron Gibson
2016-08-06 06:20:52 UTC
I know that Boost::Asio has serial port support (that I’ve used in the past), but are there any plans to include more general USB support using libusb?

I haven’t looked entirely at libusb’s internal event loop, but it seems like it might be possible to incorporate libusb, which has a whole asynchronous API, into Asio as an extension, similar to how HTTPS connections are supported through OpenSSL.
Gruenke,Matt
2016-08-06 18:58:28 UTC
You can use ASIO to drive many async libraries. I've done this with libcurl and dbus.

Unless someone has already done this for libusb, perhaps you could take a swing at it and post it up on github. It could be a useful add on, even if it's not integrated directly into ASIO.

Matt

I know that Boost::Asio has serial port support (that I’ve used in the past), but are there any plans to include more general USB support using libusb?

I haven’t looked entirely at libusb’s internal event loop, but it seems like it might be possible to incorporate libusb, which has a whole asynchronous API, into Asio as an extension, similar to how HTTPS connections are supported through OpenSSL.

Using Asio? List your project at
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__think-2Dasync.com_Asio_WhoIsUsingAsio&d=CwIGaQ&c=0YGvTs3tT-VMy8_v51yLDw&r=VhIBU6ncUQoMafVUqG8TjKbuDohjXo_1oEvOBKGy_DA&m=GY7RW95YljMwrxR_ZbuuHZueJF2LObazqd4MknqzaP8&s=mdHjAKr7mrKMuZjJvt3ZZgN9ClIZA0zjM-W6il1cmTA&e=

This e-mail contains privileged and confidential information intended for the use of the addressees named above. If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail, you are hereby notified that you must not disseminate, copy or take any action in respect of any information contained in it. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately by e-mail and immediately destroy this e-mail and its attachments.